FLATMASTER Drum Sander (Approx. 12 weeks)
*Currently approx 12 week lead time. Lead time is approx and subject to change pending factors beyond our control. Payment is not taken until sander is ready to ship. Placing an order secures your place in queue and orders are shipped in the order they came in to us.
Ever since we brought the “V”-Drum Sander to the market customers started asking for a unit that was already built. So, here it is – The Flatmaster. The Flatmaster works and sands exactly the same way as our original “V”-Drum Sander, with the exception that it comes already assembled with a sturdy metal frame and commercial duty steel top top. Everything is included with the sander except the motor. An instructional DVD is included.
The “V”-Drum Sander and Flatmaster Sanders have become favorites among cabinet makers, luthiers, segmented bowl turners, high school shops and just for the average hobbyist. It will sand anything that is flat or level something that you want to make flat. This is a very different drum sander than the traditional drum sander. Our V-drum and Flatmaster Drum sanders sand from the bottom up instead of the top down therefore eliminating sanding through the sawdust that has already been removed. This unique sander is also the only sander that we know of the does not create static, therefore eliminating saw dust remaining on the wood or other material, leaving a clean surface. The third and most important aspect of our drum sander is that all other sanders rely on the user of the machine deciding on the correct pressure to exert on the back of the sandpaper with either a pad, plate, or drum. Our sander relies on a perfectly flat top and the paper lifting off of the drum. Yes, lifting off of the drum. Because of these sanders using hook and loop and the high RPM of the drum, centrifugal force pushes the paper off of the drum and allows the hook and loop to tighten up, creating an air gap under the paper. This air gap allows for cool sanding. No longer will sandpaper load up when sanding paint, varnish or glue and it will also sand resinous woods like maple, cherry or pine without burning. This is a truly useful wood working tool for both the professional and the hobbyist, for flat sanding and edge sanding, also useful for glass, granite, aluminum, steel, and plastic.
Unique Features of the V-Drum and Flatmaster Sanders -
1. No clips needed for holding paper. VELCRO brand hook and loop is used for changing paper - simply unroll one grit and roll on another.
2. On longer drums use two or three different grits at once.
3. Klingspor brand stearate coated paper will sand pine, paint and even nails without damaging the sandpaper, a savings to the user.
4. Sandpaper used on the V-Drum is less costly than the clothback paper used for commercial units.
5. The drum is made form polycarbonate tubing which runs cooler and eliminates static. With no static on the drum, dust won't stick to the paper. Instead it drops down into the box, allowing for easier dust collection.
6. With the use of fences and hold downs, the drum works much like a jointer.
7. Centrifugal force is a key element. Firstly it lifts paper off the drum creating an air gap. The air gap prevents the drum from creating heat, which in turn helps paper to last longer. Secondly, centrifugal force means it takes less power to run the "V"-Drum as the drum is not forcing the paper into the wood.
8. Depth of cut is changed by switching the grit of sandpaper. If you want to cut more use a coarser grit, but to cut less, use a finer grit, etc. One of the many advantages of the Flatmaster drum sander is the ease of adjustment. We provide a secure method of adjusting the drum up instead of moving the top up and down like with the V-Drum sander.
Our Flatmaster drum sander has a steel frame with the top secured to the frame, a very durable, solid set up. The biggest difference between the 24 and 30" sanders from the 18" is the feed rate. The 18" Flatmaster has a 2" diameter drum, providing a feed rate of approximately 10' per minute. As with our V-Drum sander, material removal depends on the size of grit the user installs and the initial set up is the same. With your finest grit on the drum the drum should be set up so it sits just below the table when not turning. It is easier to see this if you lay a straight edge across the opening. Complete set-up instructions are included with the sander, or can be found in our catalog and on our website in the FAQ sections. The 18" drum requires a minimum of 1/4 HP motor with either 48 or 56 frame that runs 1725-1750 RPM, although any motor that runs 1725-1750 RPM will work. The 24: drum requires a minimum of 1/2 HP motor that runs 1725-1750 RPM. For a motor that will work with this sander click HERE - all motors purchased from us require . A pulley is automatically included in the kit for the motor. 5/8" pulley. Choose the bore size of your pulley which you require, according to motor shaft size, upon order. You can switch the pulley at a later time, but additional charges will apply. Motors can be purchased brand new at Harbour Freight, or any farm supply store. Used motors are often available inexpensively on E-bay, Kijiji, classified ads, garage sales, air conditioning repair shops, auctions or friends garages. We have even on occasion had customers acquire motors for free. Still Have questions? Check out our FAQ's page and online demos for more information. This unit does not include the fences.
|Flatmaster Dimensions||18" Sander||24" Sander|
|Top --- 15-1/2" x||28"||31-3/4"|
|Footprint --- 12" x||23"||29-1/2"|
|Weight (no motor or fences)||46 lb||56 lb|